There are various types of Cookie, some used to make using the Website more efficient, others to enable certain functions.
For example, Cookies can:
- memorise entered preferences;
- prevent users from having to re-enter the same information several times during their visit, for example username and password;
- analyse use of the services and contents provided by the website visited in order to optimise the browsing experience and services offered.
Types of Cookies used by the Assist Digital website
The types of Cookies used by the Assist Digital website are listed below, grouped according to their reasons for use.
This type of Cookie allows certain sections of the Website to function correctly and are essential in order to allow the user to browse the Website and use its features. There are two categories of technical cookies:
- persistent: once the browser has been closed these are not cancelled, but last until a pre- defined expiry date;
- session: these are automatically cancelled each time the browser is closed.
The assist website use the cookies:
- PHPSESSID (session cookies): are destroyed every time you close your browser;
- pll_language: is used for store the language
These Cookies, always sent by the “assistdigital.com” domain, are necessary for the correct visualisation of the Website and, in relation to the technical services offered, will therefore always be used and sent (unless the user modifies the settings in his or her browser). Included in this category are the persistent Cookies used to allow the user to register with the Website and access its restricted area. The aforementioned Cookies used by the Website avoid the need to use other data processing techniques which could potentially reduce the confidentiality of the users’ navigation of the website, and do not permit the acquisition of identifying personal information regarding the user.
The cookies in this category (which also include so-called “Cookie analytics”) are used to gather information regarding use of the website.
The Assist Digital website uses this information to obtain anonymous statistical analyses in order to improve use of its Website and to adapt its contents to the desires of its visitors. This type of Cookie gathers information anonymously regarding the user’s activity and how he or she arrived at the Website. Analytical cookies may be sent from the Website itself (so-called “first- party” Cookies) but they are generally sent from third party domains / websites (so-called “third-party” Cookies). Included in this category, for example, are Web Analytics, where the data gathered is limited to use of the website by the user and the number of accesses to the website, in order to manage the performance and structure of the website. These cookies are generally persistent.
The Assist Digital website uses:
- _ga and _gid cookie analytic: for data collection google
Cookies to integrate products and software functions from third parties
This type of Cookie integrates functions developed by third parties into the pages of the Website such as icons and preferences expressed on social networks (for example, Facebook, Twitter) in order to share the contents of the Website or for the use of third party software services (such as software to generate maps and other software offering additional services). These Cookies are sent by third party domains and partner websites, which therefore offer their features within the pages of the Website.
Third party cookies for marketing / retargeting
The Cookies in this category are only third-party and are used to create user profiles in order to send advertising messages or present advertising banners for the Website when the user is browsing on other websites, in line with the preferences demonstrated by the user within the pages of the Website. The Assist Digital website does not use first-party profiling cookies.
The Assist Digital website uses
- Doubleclick.net: used to collect data on geographic origin, age and interests
The user’s consent
According to regulations, the Assist Digital website is not obliged to request consent for first-party technical and analytical Cookies, as they are necessary in order to provide the services requested. They are therefore installed automatically by the Website during the user’s first visit to any page of the portal. For other types of Cookie, consent is requested via a pop-up banner: this implies active behaviour on the part of the user, meaning that the latter can give his or her consent by clicking on the “OK” button.
For all other types of Cookie the user can give his or her consent by one or more of the following means:
- via specific browser settings used to browse the pages that form the Website (see the following section);
- via modifications to the settings for the use of third party services.
How to manage the Cookies used by the Assist Digital website through browser configuration
Nearly all internet browsers are set up to automatically accept Cookies. The user can modify the predefined configuration (generally set to “medium” level) and disable Cookies, selecting from the form provided (generally entitled “Privacy”) the highest level of protection.
In all cases, the user also has the opportunity to delete individual Cookies from his or her computer by going to “Internet Options”,
Tools menu and selecting the “General” form and clicking the appropriate deletion button. Below are more detailed instructions for managing Cookies on the part of the user for the more common browsers.
The user can find further information at http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
To delete Cookies from the internet browser of your smartphone/tablet, you should refer to the device’s user manual.
- Click on the (“Settings”) menu in the browser’s toolbar next to the window for inserting the url when browsing.
- Select “Settings”.
- “Show Advanced Settings” at the end of the list.
- In the “Privacy” section click on the “Contents settings” button“.
- In the “Cookie” section it is possible to modify the following settings regarding Cookies:
- Allow local data to be set
- Keep local data only until you quit your browser
- Block sites from setting any data
- Block third-party cookies and site data
- Manage exceptions for certain websites
- Delete some or all Cookies
- Click on the (“Settings”) menu in the browser’s toolbar next to the window for inserting the Url when browsing.
- Select “Options”
- Select the “Privacy” panel
- In the “Tracking” section it is possible to modify the following settings regarding Cookies:
- Tell sites that I do not want to be tracked 5. In the “History” section it is possible:
- By enabling “Use custom settings for history” choose to accept third party Cookies (always, from the most visited sites or never) and to conserve them for a determined period of time (until they expire, until I close Firefox or ask me every time)
- Remove individual stored Cookies
- Click on the “Tools” button and select “Internet Options”
- Click on the“Privacy” tab and in the “Settings” section, move the slider to the desired action for Cookies:
- Block all Cookies
- Allow all Cookies
- Selecting which sites to allow Cookies from: move the cursor to an intermediate position in order neither to block nor allow all Cookies, then click on “Sites”, in the “Website address” insert a website then press “Block” or “Allow”
- Click on Safari, select Preferences and click on Privacy
- In the Block Cookies section specify how Safari must accept Cookies from websites.
- To view which websites have stored Cookies click on Details
In all cases, the user is advised to check his or her browser settings from time to time.
How to manage the Cookies via modifications to the settings when using third-party services
The Website may contain third-party Cookies and links to other websites: third parties have their own privacy information that differs from that adopted by the Assist Digital website and which is unrelated to the latter.
Listed below are the links to the pages containing the information and specific instructions from third parties
- Google services: www.google.com/policies/technologies/cookies/ o Facebook: https://facebook.com/help/cookies/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/privacy